Saturday, August 24, 2013

100 Mile Capture, part 1

The 100 Mile Capture

Last year New York photographer Brian DeFrees traveled coast to coast and back.  He strapped a camera on his car and took over 200,000 time lapse photo's.  He compiled them into a 5 minute video called Drive Across America in 5 minutes.  I warn you if you get motion sick take a few Dramamine before you click and watch, it moves pretty fast  
After his video went viral on YouTube, a friend (thanks Diane) and I started discussing how cool it would be do something similar.  Basically, our idea was that every 100 miles you stop and take one photo regardless of what is at that 100 mile mark.  Since she lives in Washington and I am across the country in Texas we knew a girls "100 mile road trip" was not in our near future so I decided to do a test drive (if you will) on our vacation and....

SO the "100 Mile Capture" was born
  
Here was the reasoning behind choosing the 100 mile mark
  1. NO way was I strapping my camera to a car NO matter how cool a time lapse would be AND no one was willing to provide funding for a new fancy smancy time lapse camera and equipment.
  2. I felt reasonably confident I could talk the  hubby into stopping every 100 miles, HEY it's better then every 50 right?? 
  3. Stopping the car every 100 miles seemed like a good excuse to "take a break" if you know what I mean.
  4. Posting every 100 miles would give me time to edit and post live.  
Here is what I found out after we got started...
  • Stopping the car every 100 miles sounds easy but sometimes it is just not possible or even safe, but I assure you all of the photos were taken at 100+/- within 4 miles. 
  •  "Taking a Break" NEVER syncs with the 100 mile mark.  
  • I thought if I took a photo every 100 miles I could edit in between  stops and post live...WRONG!  There are several parts of the western states that need some serious tech upgrades.  3G 4G LTE are strangers to this land.
  •  Even though there were a few grumbles about stopping so much when we started, by the end of the first day my driver/hubby was better at spotting things than I was. 
  • Taking photo's for me is like eating potato chips....I simply can NOT stop at one 
  • Stopping and stretching/shooting every hundred miles really broke the trip up nicely.  We saw things we would have never seen and learned quite a bit about the areas we were traveling through.    
SO here we go.... 7 states, 14 days,  3485.4 miles and  65 hours 15 minutes in the car!  We saw tons of family and beautiful scenery, and more than a few quirky things a long the way.  Hope you enjoy our road trip 100 miles at a time.

Mile 000
The last thing we saw before we pulled out of our driveway.  The sun was coming up and the light was beautiful.
   
Mile 100 turned out to be on the Dallas/ Ft Worth Freeway during rush hour (oh joy) This is the point in the trip I realized EXACTLY 100 miles was just not going to work.  These shots had to be a drive by...well it was really a roll by since we were in Dallas traffic.  One shot to the left, one to the right...so much to see. I'm telling you taking photos for me is like eating potato chips, I simply can't stop at one.
 

 
  Mile 200 let us experience West Texas.  Ooooh Baby it was hot outside 100 degrees and rising.  These horses had the right idea finding the only available shade for miles in Palo Pinto, Texas

Mile 300  Quail Ridge Ranch,   Anson, TX    
West Texas is hot and windy,  the perfect place for windmills!  They seem so looming and graceful against the open sky.

Mile 400  Tahoka, TX 
This Texas road sign and open field pretty much says it all about West Texas.  If you look closely the sign says FARM ROAD.  They refer to them as "F.M. Roads or Farm to Market roads.
I took the photo at about 1/10 a mile over the 100 mile mark
 ...and then just a bit further   *sigh*
Now don't get me wrong, I am all for progress and improving roads but this truck is behind the truck spraying the new pretty yellow lines on the road....my new car is black...patience is a virtue right???

Tomorrow we will see New Mexico

Thanks for looking I hope you are enjoying the trip

Keep snappin'
Jeanne

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me HaPpY! Please leave one